by , on November 6, 2010

A retired electrician, who continued to help his prior employer during busy times, died after spending 8 weeks in a burn unit following an electrical arc accident.  He was severely burned in an explosion that occured as he was doing electrical work to repair the lamps that illuminated the front entrance of an office building.  An electric arc erupted from the breaker box and the explosion critically burned the vicitm and injured his grandson, who was working with him.  The grandson has recovered from his burns. 

Injuried of this extent almost always involve ignition of  clothing and following NFPA 70E can minimize the injuries and prevent most all fatalities.

Click here to read more about the SC arc flash fatality


Hugh Hoagland
About author:
Hugh Hoagland is the foremost tester of clothing and PPE exposed to electrical arcs and is an arc flash expert. Read more about Hugh.

1 Comment on "Arc Flash Fatality in Columbia, SC"

Leave a Reply