by , on January 24, 2018
manikin in arc flash event

An arc flash incident at an Integrity Windows  plant December 17, 2017, left an electrician seriously injured.

The electrician suffered burns to his arms, neck, elbow and upper torso. He was taken to a Minneapolis medical center for treatment.

At the time of the incident, he was installing and testing breakers at the plant when the arc flash occurred.

The OSHA investigation may take up to six months to complete.

 


Hugh Hoagland
About author:
Hugh Hoagland is the foremost tester of clothing and PPE exposed to electrical arcs and is an arc flash expert. Read more about Hugh.

6 Comments on "Arc Flash Incident in North Dakota"

Debra Matthews - 24 January 2018 Reply

It sounds like he was wearing insulating gloves with leather protectors and using an arc flash face shield, but no balaclava or arc flash suit. It's so sad he was injured when an arc flash suit and hood matching the potential incident energy could have prevented it. That's why NFPA 70E and OSHA training play a crucial role in developing a safe workforce. Prayers for quick healing and no permanent disability.

    Hugh Hoagland
    Hugh Hoagland - 25 January 2018 Reply

    So true Debra. Matching to the hazard is critical. Glad they got partly right. That saves lives but burns aren't fun even if they are limited.Hugh

Trevor M - 25 January 2018 Reply

Any more info about this? What was the voltage, panel type,......? What exactly was he doing when the flash occurred?

    Hugh Hoagland
    Hugh Hoagland - 25 January 2018 Reply

    We don't have any more info than the news. When we do investigations we can't share anything but what is public. In this case, we have not been involved. I'd bet it was 3P system. Rarely see arc flash hurting anyone below 300V (208V 3P is an exception).Hugh

Terry M. - 14 February 2018 Reply

What was so critical in a window factory, that the panel could not be put in an electrically safe work condition? Perhaps the company can explain the necessity to complete the work energized. I was burnt in a 120/208 3 phase panel from an arc, so it does happen

    Hugh Hoagland
    Hugh Hoagland - 14 February 2018 Reply

    Anything 3-phase can ignite clothing so it is important to study.

Leave a Reply