by , on December 16, 2011

The worker in this story is installing a new smart meter when the arc fault occured. Wearing close to right PPE.  Likely no energy calc.  He got burned but no clothing ignition.  Lucky and likely to have little life changing burns but PPE could have been better matched from this description.

Wonderful that the fire chief interviewed KNEW about arc flash!  It is getting out there!  17 years ago NESC, NFPA 70E and OSHA said NOTHING about arc flash now it is all the rage.  Great increase in the understanding and protection.  This company met the current OSHA 1910.269 standard by providing clothing that did not increase the extent of the injury (as long as his t-shirt didn’t ignite.

 

Click here to read the story of the Naples, FL Arc Flash Incident


Hugh Hoagland
About author:
Hugh Hoagland is the foremost tester of clothing and PPE exposed to electrical arcs and is an arc flash expert. Read more about Hugh.

Leave a Reply