by , on June 5, 2014

An electrician was burned by an apparent arc flash while working on the main electrical box at a Windmill Farms grocery store in the Del Cerro neighborhood of San Diego in March 3, 2014. The explosion, thought to have originated in the meat department, caused enough damage to merit the store to close for several days.

When customers arrived to the store the next day, signs were posted indicating the store would be closed for repairs due the the damage.

The injured employee of the local family-owned grocery store was taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

According to witnesses, the explosion generated flames and a lot of smoke. The explosions and subsequent fire, spread to other areas of the shop.

We wonder if the electrician was wearing the right PPE. Quality electrical safety training (even cheap or free NFPA 70E training) requires even electricians working in grocery stores which are exposed to arc and shock to use proper work practices and proper PPE.  Train, audit and educate your workers and yourself so you don’t make it on the news.

 


Hugh Hoagland
About author:
Hugh Hoagland is the foremost tester of clothing and PPE exposed to electrical arcs and is an arc flash expert. Read more about Hugh.

Leave a Reply