by , on March 13, 2014

Citations were issued to the City of Sibley Electric Department, Timewell, and Current Electric of Sibley regarding an arc flash explosion last July in Sibley, Iowa. The IOWA division of OSHA has cited the parties for the incident caused when workers were switching over electric lines.

Five people were taken to the hospital after the accident happening when new electrical wiring was being installed to an 800A interior panel board. According to and article at ecmweb.com,

“I-OSHA said work was being performed while the wiring was energized, and people were allowed in the immediate area without personal protective equipment (PPE). After installation of wiring to the panel board, the employer was confirming that proper function of the equipment had been achieved. Lock and tagout was not applied, ensuring that the equipment was not energized prior to installation of the panel cover. The report stated that people were in the immediate area and were exposed to an arc flash and/or arc blast, and life-threatening injuries were sustained.”

Read the full article

Find out more about arc flash protection


Hugh Hoagland
About author:
Hugh Hoagland is the foremost tester of clothing and PPE exposed to electrical arcs and is an arc flash expert. Read more about Hugh.

Leave a Reply