by , on May 24, 2011

Two paving crew workers, the driver of the paver and a crew member walking beside the paver,  were transported to the hospital when a loading truck that was dumping asphalt into the paver attracted an arc of electricity from an overhead wire.  The truck did not come into direct contact with the wire but apparently was close enough to the wire to attract an arc of electricity.  The driver of the paver was transported to the hospital for evaluation.  The other worker was thrown approximately 5 feet and suffered burns to his hands.  Many pavers wear vests of melting materials, sounds like the clothing did not ignite in this instance.  ANSI 107 2010 requires that vests claiming to be flame resistant meet the proper standards. F1506 is proper for arc flash hazards.  These workers should have not been exposed to arc flash but looks like it happened in this case.

Click here to read more about Connecticut Arc Flash incident


Hugh Hoagland
About author:
Hugh Hoagland is the foremost tester of clothing and PPE exposed to electrical arcs and is an arc flash expert. Read more about Hugh.

Leave a Reply