by , on September 23, 2010

A Canadian hydro worker was fatally electrocuted while performing repairs following  severe thunderstorms in Port Elgin, Ontario.  The worker suffered a chest wound and third degree burns to the right side of his body. Reports from the scene suggest that the worker was hit by 2400 volts of electricity.

Characteristically this is some arc flash.  Ontario Hydro and its subsidiaries use arc-rated clothing which lessens these type of incidents.  When they know the volts it isn’t lightning.  Canada has a new standard for electrical utilities and arc flash CAN/ULC-S801-10.  This standard is similar to the US NESC but totally safety focused.

Click here to read more about the hydro facility electrocution


Hugh Hoagland
About author:
Hugh Hoagland is the foremost tester of clothing and PPE exposed to electrical arcs and is an arc flash expert. Read more about Hugh.

Leave a Reply