by , on July 11, 2014

A powerful explosion at an electricity substation is being blamed on a ‘faulty component’ creating pressure resulting in an explosion. Hundreds of homes were left without power after the explosion at the substation in Sanvey Gate, Leicester, UK.Bricks and glass from the building were thrown hundreds of metres around the building. An exact cause for the electrical explosion has yet to be determined. This is a strong, classic electric arc flash.  Fortunately no workers where present.  Faulty parts or improperly installed or properly maintained equipment.  It is important to have proper hazard assessment for the work situation and provide the proper PPE or to engineer out the hazard.  Standards like IEC 61482-1-1 and IEC 61482-2 provide information on arc flash protection for electrical workers.

Read more in the Leicester Mercury

Demolition photos

Related article


Hugh Hoagland
About author:
Hugh Hoagland is the foremost tester of clothing and PPE exposed to electrical arcs and is an arc flash expert. Read more about Hugh.

Leave a Reply