by , on September 3, 2014
ky-blast

As students at Campbellsville University were leaving a gathering to watch the school band participate in a charity event, (the Ice Bucket Challenge for ALS awareness) four firefighters received injuries related to using the aerial ladder to dump water from above.

As the students left the area, the firefighters were lowering the ladder of the truck and came to close to an overhead power line. Witnesses report the contact created a spark, arcing towards the men in the bucket of the ladder.

Campbellsville Police Chief Tim Hazlette explained, “If you get within a distance of 3 or 4 feet, the energy that surrounds the high voltage wire, will actually arc over onto another object, and in this case being the personnel inside the bucket,”

The two firefighters injured, Captain Tony Grider, 41, and Simon Quinn, 22,  were shocked by the electricity and transported to a nearby hospital and later transferred to University of Louisville’s Medical Center Burn Unit according to a report from WDRB News.

The workers on the ground, Steve Marrs, 37, and Alex Johnson, 28, brought the bucket down and also receive a shocked related to the incident.

A Campbellsville University student who witnessed the incident, Jonathan Jones reported,  “We were just walking, and we happened to look up, and we saw what looked like an explosion. We saw the one guy fall, and the guy beside him started to scream for help. We could see one of the guys in there, like twitching, and then everybody started screaming, and then they brought the bucket down and EMS was already there.”

Read the full article

 

 


Hugh Hoagland
About author:
Hugh Hoagland is the foremost tester of clothing and PPE exposed to electrical arcs and is an arc flash expert. Read more about Hugh.

Leave a Reply