The victim, a manager for the company, was electrically shocked as he and another worker were going up in a scissor lift. At the time, the two workers were repairing a 20-ton overhead crane. The ensuing investigation found that the workers had not been following the energy isolation and verification procedures explained in the company’s safety manual. The crane’s power source was rated at 600 volts.
The manager later died in the hospital.
The company has been fined $125,000. They were also told by the court to pay a 25% surcharge which will go to a special provincial fund that helps victims of crime.