by , on October 7, 2009

Worker electrocution a few months back resulted in a small fine for a fatality. Smurfit had 16 violations but they were ONLY serious. Willful are the really bad things.

“Three of the serious violations and two lesser violations cited as taking place “on or about March 10” involved electrical hazards, including not de-energizing live parts to which an employee could be exposed.

In one instance, the violation reads, “an employee reaching inside the panel box did not de-energize the electricity prior to working near the energized parts, exposing himself to a 2,400 volt electrical hazard.”

In two “other-than-serious” violations, covers for electrical boxes rated at 2,400 volts were not permanently marked “high voltage.””

Read the local paper story…

Hugh Hoagland
About author:
Hugh Hoagland is the foremost tester of clothing and PPE exposed to electrical arcs and is an arc flash expert. Read more about Hugh.

Leave a Reply