by , on October 15, 2010
Another in the string of OSHA fines of the USPS.  This should put the total close to $5 Million in fines. These are being challenged currently with OSHA. Click here to read the article.
by , on October 14, 2010
A midway worker was fatally electrocuted while setting up a ride at the SC State Fair. From the sound of the article, this was a shock incident in a situation where the equipment was not de-energized. OSHA requires all electrical work to be performed by a qualified person. NFPA 70E would require this equipment to...
by , on October 13, 2010
Hugh Hoagland and Zarheer Jooma will be speaking on a virety of arc flash safety topic at this 3-day event in Johannesburg, South Africa. Check out more information about this conference and register to attend by visiting this webpage: The objective of the forum is to provide you with the latest developments and best...
by , on October 12, 2010
Sometimes those hurt in electrical incidents aren’t the workers.  Here is an example of a poor practice resulting in a customer disabling incident in a quarry. Click here to read the shock incident in Malta.
by , on October 11, 2010
OSHA electrical safety requirements are of three basic types, wiring (NEC/NESC) safe work practices (NESC, NFPA 70E) and PPE requirements (NESC, NFPA 70E). OSHA has made statements that if you meet the OSHA direct requirements and follow a consensus standard like one of the above, they normally don’t cite except in an incident/injury.  Click here...
by , on September 29, 2010
These incidents seem to be a little more common in summer.  I investigated one near this city several years ago and the arc tracked in the sweat of the shirt.  The arc rated shirt probably saved that guys life.  This one doesn’t mention clothing but most of the local utilities in MA use arc rated...
by , on September 28, 2010
How do you use di-electric rope? Most don’t understand that di-electric rope is test on new rope and di-electric standards aren’t as forgiving as arc flash standards. Users of di-electric rope have no work practice standards in written form.  Most utilities attach the rope to a tested hot-stick and pull using that. Some will pull...
by , on September 25, 2010
Three electrical contractors shocked at a university in Wales.  At least one being treated for arc flash/electrical burns to his hands. Read the article at
by , on September 25, 2010
" Building firm fined after electrical blast By Catriona Webster Published: 03/09/2010 An Aberdeen building firm was fined £9,000 yesterday after an employee was badly burned in an electrical explosion. Sheriff James Tierney ordered the owners of Graeme W. Cheyne (Builders) Ltd to pay an additional £4,000 in compensation to joiner George Forbes at a hearing at Aberdeen Sheriff Court. The company, of Sugarhouse Lane, previously admitted health and safety failures that led to Mr Forbes, 62, handling a redundant electricity power supply device known as a fuse cut-out that was still live. Mr Forbes was working on a construction site at 238-242 Holburn Street on November 11, 2008, when he tried to remove the fuse cut-out to put up some plasterboard. The cut-out was connected to a 415-volt cable and Mr Forbes was badly burned when he touched it. He was taken to Aberdeen Royal Infirmary, where he stayed for nine days and was treated for burns to his hand and face. A Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigation revealed that the cable was twisted, causing a short-circuit that created enough energy to melt the cable and create a small explosion. Read more:"
by , on September 25, 2010
This article got me wondering about the militaristic language of “country above” as it realtes to linemen.  I have been party to it and have deep respect for linemen and electricians as they work a very risky job but these jobs don’t have to be as risk as we have allowed them to remain.  We...