e-Hazard Blog

by , on September 21, 2010
The Duluth, MN Duluth News Tribune reports that “an employee of Cooperative Light & Power was listed in stable condition Tuesday after he sustained a shock while working on a transformer”.  The article doesn’t give enough information to determine if arc flash or shock is the primary injury.  It is normally both to certain degrees...
by , on September 21, 2010
AEP was one of the early adopters of arc rated basic clothing.  Most utilities used cotton until 1994. Then all were required to use 100% natural fiber or arc rated clothing.  Contrary to popular belief, not all clothing catches fire in an arc flash or a flash fire.  This is why the move was so...
by , on September 21, 2010
Electrical contractors in FL are required to do continuing eduction.  We are certified to perform this in FL using NFPA 70E but most don’t do that level of training opting for NEC (National Electrical Code) training which is mandatory.  Electrical safety and wiring safety are BOTH important. ” Test before touch” is a live saving event. ...
by , on September 18, 2010
Not mincing words, CalOSHA fined PG&E $176K in a recent transformer incident leading to the fatality to a 26 year old electrical worker in a vault. Read the news article citing the press release. Read San Jose Mercury News Article. Read SF Chronicle Article.
by , on September 18, 2010
The California Department of Industrial Relations has levied a $176,000 fine on Pacific Gas & Electric following a review of a Cal-OSHA report that alleged lax enforcement of safety rules to protect employees following the electrocution death of a PG&E utility worker.  The worker was upgrading a transformer in a vault that contained 12,000-volt power lines. ...