by Hugh Hoagland
July 1, 2010
A Hoschton, Ga., electrician died today after he was struck in the face by a live wire in front of a Martinez residence.
Workmen survey the scene Thursday after a co-worker was shocked by electricity. William Bret Ward, 45, was hit in the forehead by a live wire at about 10:30 a.m. while working on a ground transformer at a home on the 3900 block of Braddock Street, Columbia County Coroner Vernon Collins said.
“(He) was pulling a wire into it and apparently his head came in contact with the current, and it electrocuted him,” Collins said.
Ward, a worker with Utility Lines Construction Services Inc., was wearing protective gloves and rubber sleeves when the wire hit him, Collins said.
Ward’s co-workers performed CPR on him until Martinez-Columbia Fire Rescue and EMS crews arrived at the scene.
“It was just too much for him,” Collins said.
Ward was pronounced dead at about 11:30 a.m. at Doctors Hospital.