You are here: Home / Blog
by , on March 15, 2017
In Saskatchewan, Canada, a SaskPower supervisor was fined $28,000 after being found guilty of Occupational Health & Safety violations. The accident occurred in Wakaw, Saskatchewan in 2014. Kleon Swahn and his crew were called to repair a line break on a high voltage line. When it was discovered that the available bucket truck did not...
by , on March 9, 2017
This year’s Electrical Safety Workshop was energetic and productive, once again showing that when a group of enthusiastic and engaged electrical and safety professionals get together, good things happen. E-hazard made it through another busy week at ESW! We were excited to be in Reno this year. It’s always fun to meet new people and...
by , on March 9, 2017
An 18-year-old worker for a telecommunications company was shocked in Orange Park, Florida, as he was working near high voltage power lines. John Bowman and other crewmembers were sending a line through a conduit with compressed air. The line “got away from them”, went up into the air about 75 feet, and at some point touched...
by , on March 7, 2017
Konecranes Canada Inc. in Ontario pleaded guilty last month in the death of one of their employees in 2015. The victim, a manager for the company, was electrically shocked as he and another worker were going up in a scissor lift. At the time, the two workers were repairing a 20-ton overhead crane. The ensuing...
by , on February 27, 2017
Question: I have a technician requesting the testing schedule of 40cal suits. What is the recommended testing cycle for a 40 Cal arc flash suit? Are there required tests for arc flash suits in ASTM F1506, ASTM F2178, OSHA or NFPA 70E? Answer: There are none. Arc flash suits do not provide any shock protection. Shock...
by , on February 24, 2017
Q: Does winter wear or rainwear worn by an electrical worker have to be AR or just FR? A: Standards including NFPA 70E and OSHA 1910.269 require garments not to increase burns in the event of an arc flash. Both prohibit melting materials like polyester and nylon from being worn unless they are arc rated...
by , on February 10, 2017
Get your arc flash and shock PPE right the first time! Learn how to choose your arc-rated gear for multiple hazards, and the features that really matter. Rather than just going for the lowest price, what do you include in a spec to get exactly what you want, and how do you layer for protection...
by , on January 26, 2017
One electrical worker has died and another is still in the hospital following a shock incident and subsequent fire in Amarillo, Texas, a few days ago. Roper Copelin, 30, died early Sunday morning at the University Medical Center Timothy J. Harnar Regional Burn Center in Lubbock, TX. Mr. Copelin’s boss is being treated for smoke...
by , on January 26, 2017
Policemen Save Worker Shocked at Worksite Quick thinking from two Shiloh, IL, policemen helped save a construction worker’s life in October 2016. The worker’s industrial concrete saw was believed to come into contact with an energized electrical line, rendering him unconscious. He ended up lying in water about 6 in. deep. At least one other...
by , on January 24, 2017
While most New Year resolutions center around personal matters, we offer some suggestions for resolutions you might want to follow at work. These electrical safety habits are not listed in order from least to most important, or any other order, for that matter. They are simply a list of some back-to-basics best practices that are...
123456789 ... 18 ... 27 ... 36 ... 45 ... 54 ... 63 ... 72 ... 81 ... 90 ... 99 ... 108 ... 117 ... 126 ... 135 ...