by , on November 30, 2012
A Boston College electrician was shocked while performing work at Lyons Hall in Newton;  the injuries were non-life-threatening. Getting into the habit of wearing rubber insulating gloves when doing all electrical work prevents almost all these incidents.  What if we had low voltage gloves that were more comfortable, thinner and less costly?  Would workers wear...
by , on November 30, 2012
An unidentified PSE&G lineman, working on a pole damaged from Hurricane Sandy, came into contact with an energized 13,000v line and suffered severe electrical shock.    Three police officers were able to revive the unresponsive utility worker;  his condition and name remain unknown. Find out more from NorthJersey.Com webpage dated 11/5/12.
by , on November 30, 2012
A contractor working in an area not open to the public suffered a fatal shock at the Marks and Spencer store in the Royal Victoria Shopping Centre in Tunbridge Wells, England.  Many workers are affected by electricity.  Some level of electrical safety training should be done with all workers. Read the details from This is...
by , on November 30, 2012
An employee in Siparia, India, was killed at a bitumen plant that was purchased 2 months previous at an auction.  Doodnath Bhimull was wiring up the cables and checking to see that all the motors from the plant were running.  Testing was done the day before, and he came back today to verify that everything was...
by , on November 30, 2012
Read the  article dated 10/30/12, written by Reza Tajali of Schneider Electric, that appeared in this month’s Plant Engineering magazine: “There are five important steps that companies should take to reduce the occurrence of electrical accidents and better protect workers and employers from the physical, financial, and statutory consequences of electrical accidents. These steps are required...
by , on November 30, 2012
Big Tex, the 52′ cowboy overlooking the Texas State Fair for 60 years, burnt to a crisp when an electrical short started a fire in his right boot. Dickies has FR.  Tex must not have done a hazard assessment! Was this an electrical fire also known as an electric arc?  This is what electric arcs...
by , on November 30, 2012
History Construction Management LLC of Odell, IL, was cited $59.2k by OSHA for alleged serious violations including using flexible electrical cords as a substitute for fixed wiring and improperly altering electrical cords. Find out more from OSHA’s News Release dated 11/1/12.  
by , on November 30, 2012
Oregon-based Craft Brew Alliance Inc. was cited $63.5k by OSHA at its Redhook Brewery in Portsmouth, NH, for workplace safety violations following the explosion & subsequent death of an employee using compressed air to purge liquid from the interior of a plastic keg.   Unrelated to the explosion were serious violations including incomplete procedures for locking...
by , on November 30, 2012
John Scrimshaw was cleaning paint splashes from cables  at Hamworthy Combustion Engineering Ltd of Poole, England, when he suffered a shock & was thrown 5 metres to the ground.  The Health and Safety Executive found the cables, which powered an overhead crane used to move heavy industrial heating units, were bare and had not been...
by , on November 30, 2012
Take a look at this Arc-Flash comic drawn by Dave Allred for Mark Robison, PE. See more at MEP Ninja webpage dated 10/25/12.
... 596061626364656667 ... 72 ... 81 ... 90 ... 99 ... 108 ... 117 ... 126 ... 135 ...