by , on May 19, 2011
OSHA has  issued six citations for willful safety violations and levied a $378K fine following an arc flash incident involving a wind farm technician.  The company failed to ensure that those technicians that were working in wind farm towers affixed their own energy isolation devices ( personal lock and tag devices) on the ground-level turbine switch gear...
by , on May 19, 2011
After an explosion at an office building alerted authorities, circuit breakers were found open and over $350K of copper wire was discovered missing.  Investigators believe the suspect cut the copper from the area were the main electrical feed enters the building created an arc flash explosion.  Investigators checked the hospital for suspects and identified only one arc...
by , on May 19, 2011
The Burning Wire, a fictional New York Times best seller written by Jeffery Deaver centers its plot around the evil use arc flash explosions. While the author took some liberties with the technical parts this is a long way from the obscurity that arc flash was in pre 1990.  I thank Lanny Floyd of DuPont for...
by , on May 19, 2011
The 28 year old man was fatally electrocuted  when he grabbed an electric pole to prevent himself from slipping. The entire pole was found to be charged when it was switched on.   An investigation is pending. Click here to read more about fatal electrical incident in Bangalore
by , on April 26, 2011
The little boy was severely burned after running into an electric plant during a game at his home three years ago. The boy lost his arm and sustained third degree burns to his face.  He underwent facial reconstruction in Boston and will receive a prosthetic arm in a few weeks.  His friend was killed in the incident. Click here...
by , on April 26, 2011
A Western Mass Electric Company employee was found dangling 30 feet from a utiity pole in an unresponsive state. Police speculate that the worker may have come into contact with charged electrical equipment.  He was rushed to the hospital Friday.  Firefighters used a bucket truck to rescue him. The employee was transported to the hospital with critical injuries.  The accident...
by , on April 26, 2011
The  police horse named Hercules was on duty at an agricultural show in Perth when he died after collapsing twice near and light pole.  The horse collapsed the first time while adjacent to a light pole, but fully recovered.  The second time he collapsed, the police officers who were attempting to remove his saddle and bridle recieved electic...
by , on April 26, 2011
A lineman for  BVI Electricity Corporation (BVIEC) was flown to a Miami hospital after he suffered severe electrical burns while inspecting a line. Initial reports are that the lineman came into contact with a live high-voltage line that should have been de-activated.  Sources indicate that there might have been some  miscommunication between the crew that...
by , on April 26, 2011
Little has been released about the incident at this time but it is known that the man received the shock while working on a utility pole installation by the train tracks in Northbrook  last week.  He was transported to the hospital and admitted. He was released from the hospital this week. Click here to read more about electrical...
by , on April 26, 2011
The lineman, who was employed by  Rochelle Municipal Utilities in Illinois was working in the bucket of a utility truck assisting in restoring the power to an area hit by a power outage.  The lineman came into contact with a live line while in the bucket. Coworkers administered CPR until the emergency personnel arrived.  He was pronounced...