by , on October 19, 2010

On October 10, 2010 three electrical contractor employees working at the Martin Marietta Mine in Snyder, OK were arc flashed installing ground fault indicator lights on a live 800 AMP breaker.  From the MSHA report, all three workers were transported to the hospital and one died two days later.  Most of the arc flash fatalities are from ignition of clothing in the arc flash.  Companies should include the need for tested, arc rated clothing in the arc flash training portion of their electrical safety trainingWritten electrical safety programs require hazard assessment including arc flash hazards.

MSHA requires following NFPA 70E, Standard for Electrical Safety in the Workplace.  Most of these types of injuries and fatalities are avoidable.

Click here to see the MSHA incident report of an Arc Flash Fatality


Hugh Hoagland
About author:
Hugh Hoagland is the foremost tester of clothing and PPE exposed to electrical arcs and is an arc flash expert. Read more about Hugh.

1 Comment on "Snyder, OK Arc Flash Fatality of Electrical Contractor in Martin Marietta Mine."

Leave a Reply