by , on June 19, 2014

Two electric workers from Covington, GA were injured on May 16, 2014 while working on a new power line in a relocation project when a wire came lose, causing an arc flash. Reports indicate one of the wires being installed, accidentally contacted an energized wire, causing the arc flash.

Both men received burns on their faces and necks. These were the only areas not covered by the standard protective equipment used by the workers. Utility Director Tim Morris said, “the workers wear hard hats, safety glasses, rubber gloves and fire retardant clothing.”

Arc Rated clothing is critical to saving lives.  The new OSHA 1910.269 and OSHA 1910.960 standards both would require wearing face shields in these work conditions if the energy could be 9 cal/cm² on open air power lines.  The limit is 5 cal/cm² on other work.

Read the story

 


Hugh Hoagland
About author:

Hugh Hoagland is the foremost tester of clothing and PPE exposed to electrical arcs and is an arc flash expert. Read more about Hugh.


2 Comments on "Two workers from Covington, GA injured in arc flash accident"

shawn wood - 23 June 2014 Reply

Safety is important, but wearing more and more PPE IS GETTING WHERE WE WILL HAVE A HEAT STROKE.

Beth Moore - 23 June 2014 Reply

I pray for the families! My husband was injured 10-28-13 from an arc flash. It's a long hard recovery not only for the worker but for the spouse and children if there were any! God bless you!

Leave a Reply