by , on November 12, 2010

An Essex company has been fined £130,000 following the investigation of an electrical explosion that severely burned a worker in October, 2008 as he was investigating a fault with an energy meter when he disturbed a loose connection and a wire was exposed leading to an arc flash.  The worker’s clothing caught fire and he sustained burns to his face, neck, chest, arms and hands.  The victim spent 19 days in a specialty burn unit and underwent numerous surgeries.  The investigation found that the company failed to maintain electrical systems in a way to protect workers.

The majority of the burn injuries in arc flash incidents can be either avoided or minimized by using proper PPE.  Flame resistant clothing would have minimized the extent of injuries to this worker.

Click here to read more about the Arc Flash Incident in Essex


Hugh Hoagland
About author:
Hugh Hoagland is the foremost tester of clothing and PPE exposed to electrical arcs and is an arc flash expert. Read more about Hugh.

Leave a Reply