by , on August 13, 2013

Hertford, Hertfordshire, England –

An alleged underground electrical fault near Halfords is believed to be the cause of an explosion that damaged several business and shut down power to 1,664 customers in the town of and estimated 24,180 residents.

Real estate agent Thomas Childs was trying to repair a loose paving stone outside his business on Saturday (August 3), when there was a huge explosion and a fireball tore through the open door of his Railway Street office, leaving debris in its wake.

Mr Childs, 35, who was luckily at the back of the building when the incident occurred at about 9.50am, escaped unharmed. Electric arcs like this can happen in electrical systems which are 300V and greater commonly. Most happen in 380-600V systems.

Read more on the incident


Hugh Hoagland
About author:
Hugh Hoagland is the foremost tester of clothing and PPE exposed to electrical arcs and is an arc flash expert. Read more about Hugh.

Leave a Reply