Welder Electrocuted in MO

welder

A welder was electrocuted this past May while disassembling a live, 480-volt flexible cord.

He worked at Homeyer Precision Manufacturing in Marthasville, Missouri.

The company was cited for 11 serious and one other-than-serious safety violations. The proposed fines come to $59,000.

OSHA’s investigation found Homeyer failed to do the following:

  • Train employees on electrical safe work practices.
  • Isolate energy to machines and equipment.
  • Provide personal protective equipment, including hand protection.
  • Train and certify employees on procedures to prevent sudden machine start-up or unintentional operation, a process known as lockout/tagout.
  • Install adequate machine guarding to avoid contact with moving parts.
  • Provide insulated tools.
  • Anchor machinery.
  • Mark dies for mechanical presses.

You can view OSHA’s citations here.

Hugh Hoagland

Hugh Hoagland

Hugh Hoagland is the foremost tester of clothing and PPE exposed to electrical arcs and is an arc flash expert. Read more about Hugh.

Share This Post

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest
Share on print
Share on email

2 Responses

    1. I have seen them higher, but you are right. This level of fine would shut down a small company. This does not even touch the litigation that will most likely follow from the family.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *