by , on September 21, 2012

A Comcast employee installing fiber optics in Santa Cruz, CA, was severely injured when the bucket in which he was working came in contact with overhead power lines, setting the bucket lift & truck on fire, as well as burning Mararito Mesa’s left arm, left leg, left ear, back & chest in the blast. A passerby grabbed a fire extinguisher from the truck and extinguished the flames, indicating that Mr. Mesa had been on fire for at least four minutes, “thrashing around violently.”  Following NESC and providing arc rated clothing would have minimized these burns.

Click here to read the Marinij.com news release dated 8/14/12.

Find out more about arc flash safety training.


Hugh Hoagland
About author:
Hugh Hoagland is the foremost tester of clothing and PPE exposed to electrical arcs and is an arc flash expert. Read more about Hugh.

Leave a Reply